-
FORUM K-LISTS HOME
The Rules

House Eros - Adult Roleplay Forum

Poll

is something like https://meta.discourse.org workable for most people?

Yes, go with Discourse ( https://meta.discourse.org )
9 (20.9%)
No, go with XenForo ( https://xenforo.com/community/ )
34 (79.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: July 15, 2018, 12:25:56 pm

Author Topic: How do people feel about Discourse?  (Read 1800 times)

Eros

• Site Techie / Owner
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Super Active Adult Roleplayer
    • http://houseeros.com
How do people feel about Discourse?
« on: July 10, 2018, 02:31:50 pm »
Main reason I'm asking is none of the open source PHP-based forums really have stable contributor bases anymore and aren't advancing as quickly as something like Discourse. So I'm probably going to be forced into buying XenForo.

My replacement plan is basically "take existing forum -> build stuff on top of it" but I do need to start sorting out which forum I'm putting in place to replace this one.

Thanks.
House Eros is an Adult Role playing Forum that contains Erotic and Sexual Content in large quantities. If you are here, you should be 18 or older, otherwise we will ban you. Consider yourself warned. Sex sells even free stuff, like this forum. Enjoy your stay here. Oh, and feel free to spam the Media forum with good Hentai. Also? BDSM role-playing or Furry roleplay is awesome too. We also enjoy weblit AKA webfic AKA web fiction AKA web serial AKA online fiction. We enjoy fantasy, speculative, erotica, urban, horror, and other forms of fiction. We also like those genres in role play.

kombatwombat

• Notable Adult Roleplayer
  • New to Roleplay!
Re: How do people feel about Discourse?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:46:45 pm »
Well to be honest I've never heard of either. However if it comes down to buying a home I for one wouldn't mind chipping in a few bucks here and there. A good home as it were is worth a few bucks.
(General K-list. Feel free to ask about something I have or haven't listed here)

RawRoulette

• Adult Roleplayer
  • Come Take A Spin!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »
So, is the idea to use one of these forum "styles" as it were?  Like, this HE will vanish and be replaced by whatever other forum you decide to place everything onto?

If that's the case, I prefer Xen in terms of overall appeal, but ultimately, I would say whatever works for you Eros.  Whatever comes easier, and the population will adapt.

"If you build it, they will come" I believe fits well here.

Virginia Greene

• Veteran Adult Roleplayer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:35:41 pm »
You'll be building on top of it, right? All the other forums I'm on use Xenforo and I'm really not a fan of it in it's baser form and I think it's ugly and generally unappealing, but when sites have put back features and built it to suit their site then it works a lot better. Which is a bunch extra to ask of you, I know. I don't know much about Discourse and I'm sure my Xenforo opinion is in the minority so \_(ツ)_/

I'll be here no matter what chances happen as long as the people I like are here!

Lurker

• I come in peace
    • My F-list
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 04:44:51 pm »
IMHO Xenforo looks and feels better than Discourse.

BM has recently upgraded to Xenforo and the members' reaction was overwhelmingly positive.

* The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
* Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Cyrus

• Hunting for decent female partners to RP with
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:57:47 pm »
link me to a prime example of both and I can make my descision. From what I see, I prefer this, then xenforo, then discourse.

Rozariel

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 06:11:22 pm »
I'm kinda with Cyrus I need to see a working example of both before I can make a choice this is pretty much the only forum I hang out on any more. Besides some older ones that are for hobby sites and will shut down rather than update

Eros

• Site Techie / Owner
  • Dirty Old Man
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 06:35:55 pm »
There are links literally in the poll?

House Eros is an Adult Role playing Forum that contains Erotic and Sexual Content in large quantities. If you are here, you should be 18 or older, otherwise we will ban you. Consider yourself warned. Sex sells even free stuff, like this forum. Enjoy your stay here. Oh, and feel free to spam the Media forum with good Hentai. Also? BDSM role-playing or Furry roleplay is awesome too. We also enjoy weblit AKA webfic AKA web fiction AKA web serial AKA online fiction. We enjoy fantasy, speculative, erotica, urban, horror, and other forms of fiction. We also like those genres in role play.

Lurker

• I come in peace
    • My F-list
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 07:20:26 pm »
In my personal opinion, the Xenforo link in the poll is not representative.

There are several RP forums that I am a member of that use Xenforo and they all look different, probably due to customizations, add-ons, themes, etc.
I personally like how Iwaku implemented it (note: it is not an opinion of that site in general, just of the way they configured and customized Xenforo).

* The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

GeneralKathy758

• response time will vary due to school
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 08:52:47 pm »
Discourse

Cons:
- looks a Reddit clone (Reddit is an ugly webpage but that's just me)
- scroll-n-load format is irritating
- I don't like that it shows more metrics for a user's activity...that's fine for some places but for here I think it's TMI
- I'm skeptical of anything that uses social media integration, especially of this site's nature...the last thing I'd want is for some oblivious person's replies to me getting posted on their Facebook or Twitter

Pros:
- search seems really good and might make up for scroll-n-load
- I was gonna put "tags are dumb hipster Reddit bullshit" as a con but then I remembered the times I've wished I could look up search threads/RPs based on what kinks are in them so I'm not mad at tags anymore
- apparently it can be skinned to look not-terrible

XenForo

Cons:
- search is structured like VBulletin
- more user metrics than VBulletin
- ditto on the social media integration

Pros:
- less visually cluttered than VBulletin
- safe and familiar format that is unlikely to give members change-rage

Can the admin change Discourse / XenForo to not track as many user metrics?

Can Discourse users bookmark threads and receive alerts on them? (I'd imagine XenForo would do this)

Can the admin disable social media sign-in, on either of them, so users can only join with a "local" forum profile and nothing else that's it so halp u Gob?
Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with Mesothelioma? Click here to see if you may be entitled to financial compensation.

Rozariel

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:29:12 pm »

I ment what the nodded versions look like lol. But Xen looks the best of the two to me.

Eros

• Site Techie / Owner
  • Dirty Old Man
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 09:45:12 pm »

I ment what the nodded versions look like lol. But Xen looks the best of the two to me.

That requires modding them which will likely be minimal to be honest. I haven't had alot of time in the past 2-3 years to work on HE which is part of the problem.

Can the admin change Discourse / XenForo to not track as many user metrics?

Probably, I haven't looked into that too much.

Can Discourse users bookmark threads and receive alerts on them? (I'd imagine XenForo would do this)

Yeah we'd figure something out. I think XenForo does it via watchin threads which isn't quite the same but close enough.

Can the admin disable social media sign-in, on either of them, so users can only join with a "local" forum profile and nothing else that's it so halp u Gob?

I don't intend to enable social media sign-in with the possible exception of Discord (if available) given a bunch of people want me to setup a Discord chat anyway.

GeneralKathy758

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 10:11:37 pm »
Possibly a compromise for the user metrics might be to lock them down so only members see them? I wouldn't say I'd leave the site over metrics but less info is better.

Another thing: do you know if the platforms differ in how they handle crawler bots? I don't know if that setting is handled at the domain hosting level (eg. the GoDaddy, etc. preferences) so that may be a dumb question.
Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with Mesothelioma? Click here to see if you may be entitled to financial compensation.

Eros

• Site Techie / Owner
  • Dirty Old Man
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 10:21:35 pm »
Bots can crawl the site, yes.

risaxseph

• Greeters
    • The Risa Project Community
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 12:23:14 am »
Xenforo here.  There is also a means to integrate Discord into it.
RisaXSeph
█ Status: Back. - 8/13/2018 █
█ Request Thread Links: FxM ~ FxFRP List ~ Status
PM me only about my requests or for help; thanks.

"A name is only as important as the person it describes... so when someone asks for your name you know you're important." - Hoshi Ki-Kari
You thought the world would be better off without you... I understand that now but you know its not true... The world is better with you in it. - Yukari Solaros

Eros

• Site Techie / Owner
  • Dirty Old Man
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 01:24:12 am »
Keep in mind all these people arguing for XenForo are creating a bill someone has to pay lol.

RawRoulette

• Adult Roleplayer
  • Come Take A Spin!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 03:14:56 am »
I mean, ultimately, I'll say it again, do what you need to do Eros.  You know?  You got opinions on what SOME people like, but ultimately, it is your decision based on what you can manage and handle.  I love HE, I'll be around for whatever you decide to do, I'm sure plenty of others will as well.

EROS, MY BOY, YOU DO YOU HOMIE!!!!  :D

Lurker

• I come in peace
    • My F-list
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 03:53:39 am »

Yeah we'd figure something out. I think XenForo does it via watchin threads which isn't quite the same but close enough.

Xenforo allows bookmarking with or without notifications.

Keep in mind all these people arguing for XenForo are creating a bill someone has to pay lol.

*shrug* You asked, we commented.
I don't think anyone here expects this to be a democracy.

But speaking of costs, here is what Slant has to say about Discourse (it may or may not be accurate, I haven't done any research myself):

Extremely expensive hosting.  Discourse hosting is very expensive. Almost nobody would pay for it.
Leaves out users with shared hosting.  Discourse requires sudo, which is only available on a VPS.
It is more "Free to Try" than really free.

Blazebunny

• I have two lucky feet, and both still attached!
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 08:34:33 am »
While I have started to get into Discord more lately, with the sheer number of threads and users on this site I don't really see it being viable for HE.

So my vote: Stay

Viante

• Catering to your every desire
    • My stories. (Strictly non-adult stories)
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 12:18:16 pm »
Alright, after a brief glance at the two links provided one glaring, potential problem stands out to me. Discourse doesn't look like it can have subforums. I could be wrong, but if it doesn't have that option that would make it not work well at all for a site like this. We need the subforums for group RPs and to keep everything neat and orderly.

As for appearances, Xenforo looks nicer but that may just be because it looks more organized.

However if Xenforo costs money and discourse doesn't that's definitely a strong push for discourse.

Personally, I think the site is best as it is and shouldn't be changed unless we need to change it. I don't fully understand the reasons for switching to the newer formats, but then again I only know very little about this stuff so my opinions on that are probably moot. But that's my thoughts.

As a side note, if you do decide to use Xenforo I'd suggest considering a way to allow people to anonymously donate to assist in buying the platform. But it should be anonymous so you don't know who donated and it doesn't put you in a bad position if anyone who donated breaks the rules. But ultimately whatever you decide to use is up to you and what you think is best. I'd stick around regardless of which you choose.
Happily in love with ImmortalWriter :)

<--- Sybil's K-list.     ||     Elladine's K-list--->

risaxseph

• Greeters
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 04:55:02 pm »

I have told you in the past I would throw money at this... I am sure others would too if it means keeping the site going versus free software that could stop being maintained over time and make more work for you having to maintain a dead software (which is not your job as the admin of this site; you shouldn't have to become a software developer when you run a message board). That is myself why I have always preferred paid options; the provider has some obligation to continue the project other than their own personal interests... With Open source free options you get what you pay for.
RisaXSeph

"A name is only as important as the person it describes... so when someone asks for your name you know you're important." - Hoshi Ki-Kari
You thought the world would be better off without you... I understand that now but you know its not true... The world is better with you in it. - Yukari Solaros

CasualVelociraptor

• Mistakes are the portals of discovery. James Joyce
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:58 pm »
As long as everything gets migrated over, which I have no reason to think will be a problem, then Im fine with whatever.

GeneralKathy758

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 08:53:04 pm »

I have told you in the past I would throw money at this... I am sure others would too if it means keeping the site going versus free software that could stop being maintained over time and make more work for you having to maintain a dead software (which is not your job as the admin of this site; you shouldn't have to become a software developer when you run a message board). That is myself why I have always preferred paid options; the provider has some obligation to continue the project other than their own personal interests... With Open source free options you get what you pay for.

My issue with paying isn't necessarily the cost (depending on what it is...$20 a year, fine. $20 a month, ehh) but privacy. I'm just a very paranoid person in a tinfoil hat, not a cybersecurity expert, but financial info is a more valuable target than just an IP and a throwaway email address. Keeping the transaction details safe and ensuring a level of security obviously isn't impossible but it's an additional responsibility.

Eros

• Site Techie / Owner
  • Dirty Old Man
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 11:22:48 pm »
*shrug* You asked, we commented.
I don't think anyone here expects this to be a democracy.

But speaking of costs, here is what Slant has to say about Discourse (it may or may not be accurate, I haven't done any research myself):

Extremely expensive hosting.  Discourse hosting is very expensive. Almost nobody would pay for it.
Leaves out users with shared hosting.  Discourse requires sudo, which is only available on a VPS.
It is more "Free to Try" than really free.

This person is mistaken. A site like HE requires a VPS anyway.

Alright, after a brief glance at the two links provided one glaring, potential problem stands out to me. Discourse doesn't look like it can have subforums. I could be wrong, but if it doesn't have that option that would make it not work well at all for a site like this. We need the subforums for group RPs and to keep everything neat and orderly.

You are mistaken. The default setup of Discourse doesn't make it particularly clear but there are ways to break down the navigation in a much more pleasant and usable way for RP than XenForo. It is just a question of skinning it appropriately.

XenForo is going to create the same navigational mess we have here with tons of subforums and no real ability to "fix" the issue. It can't really handle the navigational plan I had in mind originally but we can use it for awhile, I can merge forums, and we can see if I ever really have the time to build what I envisioned.

As for appearances, Xenforo looks nicer but that may just be because it looks more organized.

However if Xenforo costs money and discourse doesn't that's definitely a strong push for discourse.

That would be correct. I also, honestly, have more faith in Discourse's long term survival and business model than Xenforo.

Personally, I think the site is best as it is and shouldn't be changed unless we need to change it. I don't fully understand the reasons for switching to the newer formats, but then again I only know very little about this stuff so my opinions on that are probably moot. But that's my thoughts.

SMF is basically barely maintained. Elkarte, its closest successor, is maintained by a dev team of 1 and has a low probability of long term survival.

Boards of this format are dying, more or less.

As a side note, if you do decide to use Xenforo I'd suggest considering a way to allow people to anonymously donate to assist in buying the platform. But it should be anonymous so you don't know who donated and it doesn't put you in a bad position if anyone who donated breaks the rules. But ultimately whatever you decide to use is up to you and what you think is best. I'd stick around regardless of which you choose.

I'd probably put it through Patreon or something as an umbrella donation system if I was to set that up.

Discourse is a business and has the same long term survival odds (honestly, probably better as the guy that bankrolls it is rich as fuck) as XenForo. It is part of why I limited it to those two options. The other forum software is less stable in terms of longevity and potential for long term survival to be honest.

Also, honestly, any of these forums is probably only good for 5-10 years before I need to wholesale replace it again.

Viante

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 11:28:07 pm »
Based off everything you said there, discourse now sounds like the better option if it can be set up better, fixed to look nicer, and it has better working groups along with being free.

risaxseph

• Greeters
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 02:25:59 am »

Discourse is a business and has the same long term survival odds (honestly, probably better as the guy that bankrolls it is rich as fuck) as XenForo. It is part of why I limited it to those two options. The other forum software is less stable in terms of longevity and potential for long term survival to be honest.

Also, honestly, any of these forums is probably only good for 5-10 years before I need to wholesale replace it again.
[/quote]

Cool; it looked like an open source option when I looked at it. My only thing is it looks like reddit at first but if you can skin it right then I am for any of the above. As long as its going to be properly maintained and security patched is my main concern. I have only ever seen these two, vbulletin and IP.Suite. But VB and IPS seem like dying models and so I also saw you mentioned Patreon. Everyone is using that and honestly it would allow for people to use online idents and keep things on the down-low as much as possible... Any software these days has a long term survivability rate of zero as you mentioned but hey... Well I guess at this point I am for whatever you want. I have experience with Xenforo but I can learn a new system for posting and whatever else... So... Yeah... Whatever is decided I will throw money at if needed.
RisaXSeph

RawRoulette

• Adult Roleplayer
  • Come Take A Spin!
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 03:36:25 am »
Based on info given, I would like to change my vote, which is currently locked to Xen, to Discourse solely on what Eros provided on above post, so take one from XF and add it to Dis!  :)

Cyrus

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »
ok, Discourse is nothing more than twitter gone stupid.

Xenforo is Invision Free gone stupid x.O my pick?

switch to either and I'll probably leave. No organization, no separation, just childish jibberish that makes even Ezboard from back in the day look spanktacular.

When I asked for an example I meant a link to a roleplaying site that uses either, or. If that's the best you can do, HouseEros would be better off dead than on those formats x.x

That is coming from someone who tends to only speak in blunt truths

Viante

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 04:36:08 pm »
I was gonna say that's a pretty harsh stance, but then again you wouldn't be Cyrus if you didn't respond with harsh, blunt facts.

You really wouldn't stay though? Do you have any alternative suggestions? By the sounds of it we can't use the setup we have for much longer.

If that's the best you can do, HouseEros would be better off dead than on those formats x.x

I disagree, something is better then nothing. While this might hold true for you, some of us (like me) do kinda consider this place a second home in a way. In the sense that it's a community I've been a part of for a long time, one of the few places I'm comfortable being myself. And others at least like the site enough to stick around even if the format gets worse. So because of those of us in that group the site is almost never better off dead. I assume you just meant that in reference to your opinion, but still. :P

Cyrus

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 05:35:57 pm »
to me, I see this site as THE quality standard for ANY erotic roleplaying site. "if you're not at least this good then gtfo." That's saying A LOT. I love it here. I'd always love it here. If we have to move to a board that distorts what the actual board is, though, then it would be better to just collect up the crumbled pieces and put it back together again, properly, even if we had to do it in a private format.

That being said, I'm judging it by what he linked too, not by what you can actually do. To be honest, Xenforo could probably be altered enough to be decent, or at least at a similar quality to this. It would take graphics work and a couple months of editing, but it probably could be done. The only issue with that is that I have NO evidence to base it off of, just that one link.